Magnets Safety

Neodymium Magnets Safety Warning:

  • Neodymium Magnets (a.k.a. Super strong magnets or Rare earth magnets) must be handled with care to prevent human/pets injury, damage to objects or the magnet itself.
  • Young children should not be allowed to handle strong magnets without adult supervision.
  • Small magnets may cause choking when swallowed.
  • If the magnets are swallowed, it may attract other metal objects or magnets, pinching the part between the magnets/metal.
  • Large magnets may crush hands or fingers due to the attraction distance, force and speed.
  • Neodymium magnets are brittle and might break into splinters at great speeds that may cause eye injury.
  • You should not allow any of the magnets to go near items such as pace makers, televisions, computers, credit cards with magnetic stripes/smart chip or other such items as the magnetic field of the neodymium is very strong and might cause irreparable damage or interferences to such devices.

Handling Super Strong Neodymium Magnets:

  • When handling large super strong magnets, always remember to keep a minimum distance of one metre away from other magnets or ferrous objects.
  • Thick gloves, eye or face protection is recommended for handling large super strong magnets to protect yourself from splinters and attraction force of colliding magnets. Similar eye protection are recommended for people nearby.
  • Neodymium magnets have a maximum operating temperature of up to 80 degrees Celsius (80°c) unless otherwise stated. If exposed to  temperatures above 80°c, partial to complete demagnetization will occur and compromise the magnetic power. Such demagnetization is permanent and irreversible.
  • Neodymium magnets are usually plated with Nickel, Silver or Gold. Keep the magnet dry and store it away from strong sunlight and environments with high humidity.
  • Neodymium magnets are brittle and plated. Do not drill, saw, bend or heat neodymium magnets.
  • Magnets can conduct electricity, do not handle magnets near electrical sources, power outlets or places where possibilities of electric shocks may happen.